top of page

West Virginia License Info

Who Must Be Licensed?

If you live in West Virginia and want to drive a motor vehicle on the public roads, you must have a West Virginia driver's license, unless you are exempt. You must carry your license with you when you drive.

Who is Exempt?

  • Any person operating a motor vehicle in the armed services of the United States in the performance of official duties.

  • A nonresident who is at least 16 years old and has a valid driver's license from another state or country (limited to 90 days in a calendar year).

  • A nonresident who is attending a West Virginia college or university and has a valid license from another state

Who Must Be Tested?

  • Individuals with Instruction Permits

  • Individuals from other States if Driver's License is expired

  • West Virginia residents whose license have been expired for more than 6 months

  • Individuals who have obtained a WV Identification Card

Where to Apply?

All types of instruction permits and driving licenses may be obtained at one of the Division of Motor Vehicles Regional Offices or any Division of Motor Vehicles Exam Centers on a rotating schedule. Click here for a list of locations with directions and information.

The WVDMV will make all reasonable modifications to policies and programs to ensure that people with disabilities have an equal opportunity to enjoy all of its programs, services, and activities. For example, individuals with service animals are welcomed in the WVDMV offices, even where pets are generally prohibited.

Persons who require special assistance with sign language interpreters, hearing equipment, or visual aids or anyone who requires an auxiliary aid or service for effective communication, or a modification of policies or procedures to participate in a program, service, or activity of the WVDMV should contact us as soon as possible but no later than 48 hours before the scheduled event.

Who Can Be Denied a License?

  • Any person who is a habitual user of alcoholic beverages or is addicted to the use of narcotic drugs.

  • Any person whose license has been suspended or revoked by this state or any other state or foreign jurisdiction, until the expiration of the suspension or revocation period.

  • Any person who the Commissioner of Division of Motor Vehicles has good cause to believe would be hazardous to the public safety or welfare when operating a motor vehicle.

  • Any person who is under 18 years of age and not enrolled in or graduated from an approved educational institution.

  • A person illegal in the U.S.

  • Any person who cannot provide the required documentation as outlined in the following section.

All types of instruction permits and driver's licenses may be obtained at most of the DMV Regional Offices.

To obtain a birth certificate, if you were born in West Virginia, contact the Office of Vital Statistics. If you were born in another state, the National Center for Health Statistics has information on how to obtain a birth certificate.

**Please note: If the motor vehicle you want to take the driver's skills examination in is under a safety recall, Regional Office personnel will not give the examination. If a customer wishes to be examined in a vehicle under a known safety recall, the owner or operator must provide proof that the issue has been properly repaired and resolved prior to being allowed to use that vehicle for the examination.

You will be provided with the opportunity to obtain another vehicle not under any safety recall to proceed with the skills test provided it is still on the same day of requested testing.





Class F License - Motorcycles

If you want to operate a motorcycle on the public roads, you must obtain either a motorcycle endorsement (F) on your driver's license or a Class F motorcycle only driver's license. A knowledge and an on-cycle skills test must be successfully completed before an endorsement can be added to your license; or, before a motorcycle only license can be issued.

If you are under the age of 18, you must complete Level II GDL before you can be eligible for a motorcycle instruction permit.

A Motorcycle Driver Handbook has been prepared to help you pass the tests. Division of Motor Vehicles also offers a Motorcycle Safety Program. Please call the Motorcycle Licensing Section at 304-926-2509 if you have any questions.





Minimum Age                                                      Type of License

15                                                          GDL Level 1 Instruction Permit


16                                                 GDL Level 2 Intermediate Driver's License

                                                Motorcycle Instruction Permit with level 2 license


17                                                                   GDL Level 3 License


18                                                                Class "E" Driver's License

                                        Class "D" Driver's License (requires one year driving experience)

                                                 Class "F" Endorsement or Motorcycle ONLY License

bottom of page